Sunday, January 11, 2009

We Did It:::Monique

When I signed up for this and decided to make it a New Year's goal of mine to not eat out, I knew that our trips to Casper were going to be an issue.  We go there sometimes once a week for doctor appointments, meetings, shopping, etc.  We have tried to cut down the trips to only once or twice a month because the price of gas was so high last year.  We are doing better, but sometimes we just like to get out of town.  We also do bulk shopping at Sam's Club (no Costco here!).  Well, our first trip to Casper this year came Saturday.  When DH got home Friday night and we talked about going to Casper, I asked him if we could take a lunch. He said yes.  Saturday when we got up I packed a loaf of bread, peanut butter, jelly, chips, snack bars, pretzels, water, knife, spoon, and cloth napkins.  We ate in the parking lot at Sam's Club.  I made everyone a sandwich and we had small picnic in the car.  No one but DH complained.  

If I'm going to keep everyone on board with this, I think I'm going to have to come up with some other ideas.  So what is everyone doing when they have to make a trip to a different town or are out and about for the day?  

It is usually a minimum of $30 when we eat out at a fast food restaurant.  So, I'm so glad I saved us that on Saturday.  If we make two trips to Casper a month, that is $60 or more we'll save!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I find that DH is always the one with the biggest complaint with packing lunch for a trip (the girls are just too used to it I think). Here are a few 'Man pleasing' (as the Pioneer woman at http://thepioneerwoman.com/ calls it) things that work for us.
    Breakfast burritos made ahead and wrapped in foil. Maybe I will post these soon.
    Pigs in a blanket (little sausages wrapped in biscuits or rolls).
    Any meat or fish wrapped up in pastry or bread envelope.
    Hard boiled eggs.
    A bag of favorite chips that they don't usually get helps too.
    OK, I think this list is growing and I will make it a posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY ALL ITS HEATHER, JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I ENJOY THE IDEAS AND COMMEND ALL OF YOU. GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete